Warehouse No 34
Municipality: Claremont, NH
Location: 43 River Street
Site Type: Mill/Industry
UTMs: (Zone 18) E: 715092. N: 4805964
National Register Nomination Information:
This high one story brick building stands in an area where a nearby Saw Mill once stored its logs. Designed by Arthur S. Coffin, it was built in 1912 by the Sullivan Machinery Company, manufacturers of quarrying and mining equipment. A trolley track ran inside the warehouse to facilitate loading. Although there was a welding department on the first floor in the 1930s, it was principally used as a warehouse until 1967. The warehouse was sold by Sullivan Machinery's successor firm, Joy Manufacturing Company, to the city of Claremont; it was then resold in 1974 to Bourdon, Inc., a mattress manufacturing concern. The windows of the building are presently bricked in or covered with plywood.
Not specifically addressed.
Maps: Sanborn: 1904, 1918, 1963.
Joy Manufacturing Company, Factory Insurance Map, 1962.
Sullivan County Registry of Deeds, Newport, NH.
Oral interview, Leslie Currier, 7/18/1978, Claremont, NH.
DATE ENTERED: February 28, 1979.
BACK TO NATIONAL REGISTER PROPERTIES