National Register Nomination Information:
The Prentiss Bridge is a By-passed bridge, situated close to the Walter H. Smith homestead. It is the shortest bridge in New Hampshire. The bridge is 30 feet long of lattice type design and Town owned.
In order to maintain and repair this bridge for future generations, monies are desperately needed,
New planking, beams and painting are the most current needs.
The bridge was built in 1874 by Sanford Granger. The lattice tiimbers are held together by Trinnalsor (tree-nails).
We hope to preserve these for its esthetic beauty and the generations to come. Too many of our covered bridges have succumbed to the ravages of time and vandalism throughout the State.
The Prentiss Covered Bridge is the shortest covered bridge in New Hampshire. It was built in 1874 at the cost of $1000.00. It spans Great Brook and is of "Towne Lattice" design, put together by Sanford Granger of Bellows Falls, Vermont.
The bridge was built on land cleared and settled by Captain John Prentiss, in 1785 amd is the third bridge built at this point. The two preceding were open-pole and plank. The bridge was once used as part of the Cheshire Turnpike enroute from Canada to Boston.
The new road by-passing the covered bridge was built in 1954.
Every year tourists and covered bridge fans come to the Langdon bridges for viewing and picture taking.
DATE ENTERED: May 24, 1973.
BACK TO NATIONAL REGISTER PROPERTIES